If you’ve ever made lasagna rolls you know how simple they are to make. Well these are even easier. No need to boil the noodles! Plus, the zucchini “noodles” taste fantastic. You won’t even miss the pasta.
This dish takes about 15 minutes to prepare and 35 minutes to bake. It makes 8 rolls and serves 4 people. Just double or triple the recipe if you are serving a crowd.
Yay for nutrient dense foods! Each serving has 2 cups of spinach! One of our favorite things about the Simply 400 Plan is that we still get to eat great food! Eating more veggies doesn’t have to mean eating a plate of kale.
- 2 large zucchini
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 cups of fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups ricotta
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- pinch of salt pinch of pepper
- 2 cups marinara
- 3/4 cup part skim mozzarella, shredded
- fresh basil (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Heat a large skillet to medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and onions. Saute for 4-5 minutes until translucent.
- Mince garlic and add to skillet for 30 seconds.
- Add spinach. Cook for 3-4 minutes until it is wilted. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat.
- Slice the zucchini into long, thin slices.
- Slice off the outside lone edges so the zucchini “noodles” only have skin on the edges.
- In a small bowl, add spinach mixture, ricotta, dried basil. Mix to combine.
- In a 13×9” pan, add 3/4 cup of marinara to the bottom of the pan.
- Assemble the lasagna rolls by laying zucchini noodle flat. Spoon 1/8th of the spinach mixture onto the noodle. Carefully roll the noodle up. Place roll in pan with the open edge facing down.
- Sprinkle with mozzarella and fresh basil. Cover with foil.
- Bake in oven for 30 minutes, or until hot and cheese is melted.